Senior Director, Division of Business Services
The University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn's distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning. As an employer Penn has been ranked nationally on many occasions with the most recent award from Forbes who named Penn one of America's Best Employers By State in 2021.
Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.
The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.
COVID-19 vaccination is a requirement for all positions at the University of Pennsylvania. New hires are expected to be fully vaccinated before beginning work at the University. For more information about Penn's vaccine requirements, visit the Penn COVID-19 Response website for the latest information.
Posted Job Title
Senior Director, Division of Business Services
Job Profile Title
Job Description Summary
Under limited supervision, reporting to the Vice President for Business Services, the Senior Director of Business Services is responsible for providing leadership and management for the departments of Transportation, Parking, Mail Services and the Class of 1923 Ice Rink at the University of Pennsylvania.
The Senior Director must conduct short and long range planning for the department(s) as well as develop, interpret, revise, and implement departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines. In addition to participating in University-wide initiatives, committees, and teams - the Senior Director leads staff in introducing new and innovative services as well as modifying/improving existing practices to meet the changing environment. Reviewing facilities operations, maintenance, and renovation services on a regular basis, the Senior Director provides regular updates regarding progress on initiatives and goals. This position requires a high level of creativity, savvy negotiation skills, and an investigative, analytical, and problem solving skill set. While ensuring that Mail, Parking, Transit, and Class of 1923 Ice Rink Operations are effectively led and managed, in alignment with strategic and operational goals, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Planning, operational oversight and quality assurance for Penn's extensive transit network including bus, van, para-transit, charter and third-party transportation agreements.
- Review services to be sure they meet the needs of the University community and are consistent with annual funding.
- Assess vehicle inventory, liability and opportunities to reduce costs of fleet maintenance and generate fuel savings.
- Evaluate sustainable fuels.
- Oversee safety and security provisions for all operating units as well as the highest level of customer service.
- Fiscal responsibility, operational oversight and quality assurance for permit and transient parking program including budget development, oversight, capital and long range planning.
- Negotiate group parking fees and set annual permit rates.
- Evaluate occupancy rates, coordinate special event parking, comply with health system requirements.
Managerial and Administrative
- Supervision of managerial, support and seasonal employees, as well as employees covered by collective bargaining agreements.
- Ability to leverage core areas of expertise to support broader strategic University objectives (such as the Climate Action Plan, sustainability goals, technological innovation etc.) and Divisional standards through operating units, participation on committees and development of staff.
- Primary liaison with regional industry leaders in transit, parking, city, local and state planning, corporate partners, peer institutions and suppliers etc.
The University of Pennsylvania and Division of Business Services is seeking a leader with proven management and leadership ability, demonstrated strength in budget management and planning, and effective project management skills. Additionally they need to embrace the opportunity to work within a diverse population and community, while balancing how the needs of an urban campus fit into a complex transit environment both locally and regionally. The successful candidate must possess a Bachelor's degree with 8-10 year's related and progressively responsible experience. Additionally, the successful candidate must have proven management experience in a complex business setting (prior experience in a university will be an added benefit). The position requires demonstrated expertise in operational and budget management. It also requires an understanding of, and commitment to: the goals and values of an academic community, the ability to work independently, be self motivated, highly productive and goal oriented, as well as the ability to be a proactive problem solver through collaboration and execution of effective strategies for continuous process improvement.
The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered.
Targeted Pay Range: $90,860.00 - $168,837.00
This Targeted Pay Range is only applicable to this job posting. All salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
About the Division of Business Services
The Business Service Division (BSD) supports the individual and collective needs of the Penn community by promoting a hospitable, customer-friendly campus environment through the provision of mission-critical services and essential operations. BSD's mission is to provide high-quality service in a fiscally responsible manner. Currently, the Division is focused on three major initiatives:
- Revenue growth/retention through improved marketing efforts, extended services, and development of new distribution channels.
- Driving productivity for the Division and its customers through the better use of technology.
- Enhancing service offerings through upgrades and expansions of facilities.
For more information on BSD visit: https://www.business-services.upenn.edu/
Job Location - City, State
Department / School
$90,860.00 - $142,844.66
Salary offers are made based on the candidate's qualifications, experience, skills, and education as they directly relate to the requirements of the position, as well as internal and market factors and grade profile.
Affirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.
- Health, Life, and Flexible Spending Accounts: Penn offers comprehensive medical, prescription, behavioral health, dental, vision, and life insurance benefits to protect you and your family's health and welfare. You can also use flexible spending accounts to pay for eligible health care and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars.
- Tuition: Take advantage of Penn's exceptional tuition benefits. You, your spouse, and your dependent children can get tuition assistance here at Penn. Your dependent children are also eligible for tuition assistance at other institutions.
- Retirement: Penn offers generous retirement plans to help you save for your future. Penn's Basic, Matching, and Supplemental retirement plans allow you to save for retirement on a pre-tax or Roth basis. Choose from a wide variety of investment options through TIAA and Vanguard.
- Time Away from Work: Penn provides you with a substantial amount of time away from work during the course of the year. This allows you to relax, take vacations, attend to personal affairs, recover from illness or injury, spend time with family-whatever your personal needs may be.
- Long-Term Care Insurance: In partnership with Genworth Financial, Penn offers faculty and staff (and your eligible family members) long-term care insurance to help you cover some of the costs of long-term care services received at home, in the community or in a nursing facility. If you apply when you're newly hired, you won't have to provide proof of good health or be subject to underwriting requirements. Eligible family members must always provide proof of good health and are subject to underwriting.
- Wellness and Work-life Resources: Penn is committed to supporting our faculty and staff as they balance the competing demands of work and personal life. That's why we offer a wide variety of programs and resources to help you care for your health, your family, and your work-life balance.
- Professional and Personal Development: Penn provides an array of resources to help you advance yourself personally and professionally.
- University Resources: As a member of the Penn community, you have access to a wide range of University resources as well as cultural and recreational activities. Take advantage of the University's libraries and athletic facilities, or visit our arboretum and art galleries. There's always something going on at Penn, whether it's a new exhibit at the Penn Museum, the latest music or theater presentation at the Annenberg Center, or the Penn Relays at Franklin Field to name just a few examples. As a member of the Penn community, you're right in the middle of the excitement-and you and your family can enjoy many of these activities for free.
- Discounts and Special Services: From arts and entertainment to transportation and mortgages, you'll find great deals for University faculty and staff. Not only do Penn arts and cultural centers and museums offer free and discounted admission and memberships to faculty and staff. You can also enjoy substantial savings on other goods and services such as new cars from Ford and General Motors, cellular phone service plans, movie tickets, and admission to theme parks.
- Flexible Work Hours: Flexible work options offer creative approaches for completing work while promoting balance between work and personal commitments. These approaches involve use of non-traditional work hours, locations, and/or job structures.
- Penn Home Ownership Services: Penn offers a forgivable loan for eligible employees interested in buying a home or currently residing in West Philadelphia, which can be used for closing costs or home improvements.
- Adoption Assistance: Penn will reimburse eligible employees on qualified expenses in connection with the legal adoption of an eligible child, such as travel or court fees, for up to two adoptions in your household.
To learn more, please visit: https://www.hr.upenn.edu/PennHR/benefits-pay
To apply, visit https://wd1.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/upenn/careers-at-penn/job/3401-Walnut-Street/Senior-Director--Division-of-Business-Services_JR00066270-1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency