Program Specialist - Accessibility Support Center (ASC)
Closing Date/Time: 8/20/2019 11:59 PM Pacific
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Full-time
Department: Accessibility Support Center
This full-time Program Specialist, provides a variety of administrative and program support services to the Accessibility Support Center (ASC) students and clientele; performs related duties as required or assigned.
In addition, a Program Specialist position eligibility pool may be established in order to fill other full-time, part-time, or substitute assignments as needs arise.
The ideal candidate will share Cabrillo's commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. Cabrillo College serves approximately 11,400 students per term, of which 45.13% are LatinX, 5.26% multi-ethnic, 2.64% Asian, 1.25% African-American, 0.79% Filipino, 0.30% American Indian or Alaskan Native, and 0.18% Pacific Islander as of Fall 2018. At Cabrillo, 56.66% of students are students of color and 54.91% are economically disadvantaged. In 2006, Cabrillo College was designated a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community.
Cabrillo College has a tradition of collegial governance, and staff possess a long history of participatory governance in all levels of decision-making at the college. Cabrillo provides an excellent opportunity to learn, collaborate, create, and make a difference in the lives of its students and community.
- Provides administrative and program support services for a specific College program
- Provides information and assistance to students, potential students, clients and the public regarding program requirements and services
- Assists students with various College and outside agency procedures such as registration and completion of forms and documents
- Provides students with specific program resources, such as interpreters
- Provides support to an off-site College facility and staff
- Provides information to the public, students and College staff that requires the use of judgment and the interpretation of policies, rules and procedures
- Coordinates services with and refers students to other College staff and programs and to community support agencies, appropriate state and local regulatory or licensing agencies and other public groups
- Monitors budget allocations and expenditures, maintains financial and statistical records and prepares financial reports
- Assists in developing program budgets, objectives and procedures within College guidelines
- Monitors activity compliance with College policies and federal and state regulations
- Researches and assembles information from a variety of sources for the completion of forms or the preparation of various files
- Maintains records and identifies and resolves discrepancies
- Operates standard office equipment
- Enters and retrieves data and prepares periodic and special reports, correspondence and other written materials using a personal computer system and various software such as, e-mail, word processing, spreadsheets, databases and website management
- Recruits, interviews and recommends selection of student assistants and other part-time support staff
- Assigns and directs work and instructs such assistants in work procedures
- May handle and balance program monies
- May coordinate class schedule information and facility use for a specific college program
- Performs related duties as required or assigned
Education and Experience
Equivalent to graduation from high school AND three (3) years of general clerical support or secretarial office assistant experience.
Please note: Education may be substituted for the experience on a year for year basis to a maximum of two (2) years.
- College, technical or business school coursework in the program area of assignment
- Basic functions and programs of a community college or similar educational setting
- Program administration principles, including work organization and budget administration
- Operation of computer equipment and various software applications
- Applicable federal, state and College laws, rules and regulations
- Governmental, community and social service organizations and their functions
- The needs and sensitivities of special and disadvantaged student populations
- Standard office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of office equipment
- Correct English usage, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation
- Applying and explaining relevant laws, regulations, policies and procedures
- Analyzing problems, evaluating alternatives and making sound recommendations
- Coordinating multiple projects and meeting critical deadlines
- Exercising sound judgment within established guidelines
- Preparing clear, concise and complete records and other written materials
- Maintaining accurate records and files
- Maintaining confidentiality of information
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of the work
- Operating a keyboard with sufficient skill to enter data into a computer and producing correspondence, reports and other written materials using various software such as email, word processing, spreadsheet, databases, and website management
- Specified positions may require a valid California driver's license
Starting Salary: $3,030 to $3,340 per month to start; seven-step schedule to $4,060 per month. Full-time, 12 months per year; Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. with evenings and weekends as required. Classified employees are required to join the California Public Employees' Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis. Position scheduled to begin as soon as possible, pending continued categorical funding and Governing Board ratification. Salary is subject to proration based on beginning date of assignment.
*Cabrillo College reserves the right at its discretion to hire classified and confidential employees at a higher starting step placement, up to step three, in acknowledgment of an individual's previous job-related work experience. Please note: It is the applicants responsibility to ensure their application materials include the work-related experience they wish to be considered for a higher step placement. The Human Resources department will make their determination based on the information in the application materials received.
Cabrillo College currently provides a generous benefit stipend for employees plus dependents that employees apply towards benefit selections for medical, dental, life, and short-term/long-term disability insurance. Depending on health plan selections, in many cases full-time employee net out-of-pocket for benefit premiums may be $0 or otherwise relatively low.
The Cabrillo Classified Employees Union (CCEU) is the exclusive bargaining representative for classified employees. Classified employees who elect to join CCEU agree to have a monthly payroll deduction equal to the current membership dues rate, which is generally a percentage of gross monthly compensation.
**To be considered, each candidate must submit:
- Completed online Cabrillo College Application
- Job-related resume
- Documentation such as college transcripts in response to this position's desirable qualifications of college, technical or business school coursework in the program area of assignment
Please notify the Human Resources Department if you require any special accommodation(s) in meeting these requirements.
Please Note: To ensure an accurate evaluation of your application materials, please submit information regarding your education, experience, knowledge, and abilities as they relate to the minimum qualifications. When filling out the online application, it is important that you fill out all sections completely. Do not leave blank spaces/sections or note "see resume". When adding attachments, please redact ALL of the following items which appear on any attachment before you submit it: personal photos, social security number, birthplace, birth date, age, and gender.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be reviewed by a search committee, which will determine the applicants to invite for interviews based on the appraisal of qualifications as documented by application materials submitted. Meeting the posted requirements does not guarantee an invitation for an interview. Performance exam(s) may be administered.
Candidates selected for employment with Cabrillo College must agree to be fingerprinted, provide current tuberculosis screening results, provide proof of eligibility for employment in the United States and present a valid Social Security card upon hire.
Application Deadline: Application and attached required materials must be successfully submitted by 11:59 p.m. on: Tuesday, August 20, 2019
Cabrillo College seeks applications from all qualified individuals. It is the continuing goal of Cabrillo College to hire and retain staff that reflect the rich diversity and cultural heritage of the college district and its student body.
Cabrillo College currently provides full-time employees a benefit stipend contribution for medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance for employees and eligible dependents. Please note: Employee who work part-time contracts will receive a pro rata benefit stipend based on the percentage of assignment.
Full-time and *part-time classified employees are required to join the California Public Employee's Retirement System (CalPERS) and as such contribute up to 7% of their monthly salary to CalPERS on a pre-tax basis.
Note: Classified-hourly employees are not eligible for insurance-related benefits or PERS retirement benefits.
Each employee hired into a classified position shall contribute to membership dues, service fee or charitable contribution at the current rate based on gross salary per month.
*Part-time refers to 1,000 hours/125 days or more per fiscal year.
To apply, please visit: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cabrilloedu
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency