HUMAN RESOURCES SPECIALIST, SENIOR
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Campus Location: District Office
The Human Resources Specialist, Senior reports to the Human Resources Supervisor at the District Office. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This is a Confidential position.
Under general supervision, the Human Resources Specialist, Senior performs skilled and specialized technical level responsibilities in assigned area of human resources services, handles assignments and provides services to employees including faculty, staff and management, provides support in developing policies and procedures, and provides resources for collective bargaining. This position maintains position control records and personnel records; performs and audits personnel changes; generates personnel reports; implements the District personnel policies and procedures; and acts independently in carrying out all components of assigned area of work. This position may oversee the work of lower level staff.
NATURE and SCOPE
This is the journey level class in the Human Resources Specialist - Confidential series and is distinguished from the Human Resources Specialist level by the assignment of the full range of duties, independent nature of the position and level of judgement the incumbent must exercise. Employees at this level receive specialized training as new, unusual or unique situations arise and are knowledgeable of the operating procedures and policies within the work unit.
KEY DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Serve as a key resource person for supervisors and administrators regarding a variety of human resources programs and services including collective bargaining agreement language, state or federal law and district policies that affect personnel decisions.
2. Maintain a working relationship and provide technical expertise and direction to District and campus administrators, faculty and support staff regarding personnel issues, reports, changes and transfers.
3. Work collaboratively with Payroll Department for accurate processing of regular pay, adjustment, EDD claims, award and retro-pay, etc.
4. Prepare documents, reports, and Board actions including supporting agenda materials for presentation to the Board of Trustees; coordinate with departments to ensure timely submission.
5. Prepare, process, produce, and distribute a variety of technical documents, materials, departmental notices, employment forms and reports related to the personnel function of the District.
6. Prepare periodic reports including narrative discussions of significant personnel issues and analysis and interpretation of data such as Full-time Obligation Number (FON).
7. Provide information to employees regarding fringe benefit programs, including retirement, vacation, and sick leave; administer leaves of absences in compliance with established policies.
8. Explain Collective Bargaining Agreements and handbook language to support administrators and employees; may serve as a resource for the District negotiations team.
9. Participate in the development and enhancement of information systems and procedures that facilitate Human Resources and administration processes; participate in the design and modification of administrative system.
10. Monitor, maintain, input and update the Human Resource System personnel database and generate reports for payroll, fiscal services, and college administrators.
11. Assist with the pre- and postemployment processes for new hires including scheduling of TB exam, conducting, new hire orientations, preparing new employee package and hire letters mailed to new employees or through onboarding system.
12. Prepare and transmit salary information to payroll office, evaluate transcripts and occupational/professional experience for qualification compliance and salary placement and record information for salary movement of employees.
13. Coordinate, verify and generate renewal of contracts for eligible employees and employee evaluation process.
14. Prepare and maintain District academic/classified/ management personnel files and records related to hiring, reclassification, and personnel actions.
15. Prepare and maintain position control records, personnel records and other types of specialized records.
16. Conduct and coordinate workshops, oral presentations and training on human resources related topics and procedures.
17. Generate and maintain information pertaining to the Conflict of Interest (form 700) in the County agency database.
18. Participate in the development and maintenance of human resources policies and procedures; represent the district human resources to outside professional organizations; participate on cross functional teams.
19. Perform other duties related to the position as assigned.
EMPLOYMENT STANDARDSKnowledge of:
1. Current laws, codes and regulations related to employment, benefits and other human resources functions.
2. Principles and practices of Human Resources administration.
3. Collective bargaining processes and agreements.
4. Technical aspects of field of specialty.
5. Computer operation including software for word processing, HR information system, database management and spreadsheets.
6. Financial and statistical record keeping and auditing.
7. Interpersonal skills using tact, patience and courtesy.
8. Record keeping systems and methods.
1. Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
2. Interpret, explain, and apply rules and policies related to Human Resources assignments.
3. Research, analyze, and evaluate situations well; and effectively recommend or resolve matters.
4. Compile and maintain accurate and complete records and reports.
5. Effectively present information in person or on the telephone to administrators, academic or classified employees or the public.
6. Exercise good judgment and discretion in analyzing and resolving confidential, difficult and sensitive situations.
7. Operate computer equipment and utilize word processing, spreadsheet and other software such as HR Information System.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. An Associates degree from an accredited institution with major course work in human resources management, business administration or related field.
2. Three years of related experience and increasingly responsible technical experience, which includes at least two years of experience in human resources and or payroll functions.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
$97,090 - $124,360 Annual Salary (Range C125: Confidential Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2022-2023). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Confidential positions also include 22 vacation days, 12 sick leave days, 6 administrative leave days and 19 paid holidays per year.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% - AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency