ENGLISH INSTRUCTOR (Enlace)
San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Campus Location: Evergreen Valley College
This faculty position is a full-time, 100% FTE (10 Months) Tenure Track position as an Instructor of English, (Enlace) in the Division of Language Arts located at Evergreen Valley College.
Assignment may include day and evening responsibilities.
This position is represented by the San Jose/Evergreen Federation of Teachers, AFT 6157.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Teach a 100% load in the field of English composition and literature, including English courses offered to students in the Enlace Program. Course assignments will include courses in, but not limited to, developmental and college-level composition, non-credit, and introductory literature.
2. Collaborate with the Enlace Program Coordinator on the Enlace Mentoring component and work in a team effort with Enlace faculty and staff to develop, implement, and evaluate retention strategies.
3. Attend and participate in Enlace Program campus and community activities.
4. Collaborate with Enlace faculty to adhere to AB 705 and advance the Enlace mission.
5. Adapt methodologies for students with special needs and different learning styles.
6. Demonstrate commitment to professional development, including but not limited to, activities such as: participation in professional conferences, workshops, seminars, membership in professional organizations, research projects, publishing academic work, participation in statewide committees or organizations, etc.
7. Demonstrate sensitivity in working with students and staff of diverse racial, ethnic, academic and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientation, and disabilities by showing respect for differences and the dignity of others.
8. Participate in faculty responsibilities such as: course and curriculum development and review, student learning outcomes and assessment, program review, committees, research and special projects as needed in the discipline/department or district.
9. Attend and participate in department, division and college meetings and keep posted office hours.
10. Meet record keeping obligations on time, e.g. grades, census, reports, rosters, textbook orders, and requisitions.
11. Maintain and provide current course syllabi as required by California Education Code and Board policy.
12. Foster a professional work and learning environment.
13. Perform other duties as required by the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Masters in English, Literature, Comparative Literature, or Composition
Bachelors in any of the above AND Masters in Linguistics, TESL, Speech, Education with a specialization in Reading, Creative Writing, or Journalism
1. Training and experience with implementing AB 705 guidelines in course curriculum.
2. Competency/FSA in any of the following areas: Reading, Literature, Non-Credit.
3. Understanding of the needs of adult learners.
4. Knowledge of social, historical, and cultural dynamics of the Latinx community.
5. Knowledge and skills in utilizing culturally relevant pedagogy, particularly for Latinx students.
6. Experience integrating culturally relevant materials into classroom activities.
7. Ability to relate to and communicate with Latinx students, families and professionals.
8. Bilingual/biliterate in Spanish and English.
9. Experience as a member of a non-traditional academic program for Latinx students.
10. Experience working with Latinx community organizations.
11. Familiarity with Latinx literature.
Districts Diversity Requirements
$73,052 to $100,279 Entry Level Annual Salary (Academic Salary Schedule 2018-2019); Maximum Salary Potential $130,110. Note: Actual Salary placement is based on candidate's verified education and experience.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Faculty also receive paid sick leave.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency