Assistant Professor in Computer Science - Tenure-track
The University of Texas Permian Basin Department of Computer Science invites applications for the position of tenure-track assistant professor with specialization in game development, augmented & virtual reality, and/or Artificial Intelligence. The starting date for this position is August 2024.
$70,000.00 depending on qualifications
We seek individuals with a passion for teaching and a desire to engage students in the classroom and supervise and mentor students on research and industry projects. We blend traditional subject matter mastery with problem-solving, industry-based applications, and laboratory experiences. These opportunities enhance student learning to prepare them for the workplace and a career of lifelong learning. The individual is expected to contribute to the development and growth of the Computer Science program. In addition, the applicant is expected to develop and teach undergraduate and graduate courses, seek external funding, establish an appropriate research program that leads to peer-reviewed publications, and provide service to the program, university, community, and profession. The College of Arts & Sciences has excellent experimental facilities and computational resources. Collaboration with entities within and outside Computer Science is highly encouraged. Considerable institutional resources are available to support the successful applicant's research program.
Official duties and responsibilities of faculty members include teaching, research, and service activities as assigned.
1. An earned doctorate in Computer Science or a closely related field at the time of appointment.
2. Research in one or more of the following areas: CyberSecurity, Data Science, Software Engineering, Information Systems, Artificial Intelligence.
3. Ability to teach courses in the following areas: Introduction to Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
4. Assistant Professor Position: A strong publication record and the potential to succeed in securing research funding and mentoring students.
1. Post-doctoral research experience.
2. Demonstrated success or history of effort to obtain external funding for research.
3. A history of working with teams, especially those spanning multiple disciplines.
4. A history of supervising and mentoring undergraduate and/or graduate students.
5. Record of successful teaching at the college level.
6. Past work experience in national lab and/or industry.
From The Department
The UT Permian Basin is part of the prestigious University of Texas System, which includes 13 institutions throughout the state. UT Permian Basin is a comprehensive regional university in Odessa and Midland, TX. The institution is a Hispanic and Minority Serving Institution. UTPB offers bachelor's degrees in 38 majors and 25 master's degrees across five academic colleges.
The total enrollment is 5,713 students. UTPB is a Carnegie Classification Master's Colleges and Universities: Larger Programs. The Department of Computer Science is located in the Science & Technology building, offering both face-to-face and online courses, delivering the BS and MS degree programs in Computer Science.
Required Application Materials
1. Cover Letter
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV)
3. Current research interests and goals (Max 2 pages)
4. Teaching philosophy and experience (Max 1 page)
5. Peer-reviewed journal publications: Maximum of 2 for Assistant Professor, 4 for
Associate Professor, or 6 for Professor (combine into one file).
6. List of three (3) references with contact information
Conditions of Employment
1. The job description is not a complete list of all responsibilities and duties performed by employees. Employees may perform other related duties as assigned by their immediate supervisor.
2. Employment is subject to an introductory period to monitor employee performance.
3. Once hired, the prospective employee must present documentation within three (3) days of the hire date to establish their identity and employment eligibility as required by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). Applicants must be able to show proof of eligibility to work in the United States by time of hire. UTPB participates in e-Verify.
4. Employees must be able and willing to travel and perform duties away from campus as necessary and must be able to operate a licensed motor vehicle, have access to a dependable motor vehicle, and possess a valid state driver's license. Must have and maintain a satisfactory driver's record.
5. Employment is contingent upon a successful background check.
6. UT Permian Basin is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Generally, the normal work hours for the university are Monday through Thursday, 7:30 - 5:30 pm; Friday, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm with a one-hour lunch. The individual holding this position may need to be available early morning, evening, and on weekends to meet the needs of the department. Hours worked may differ with some departments.
Standard Working Conditions
1. Able to lift various materials up to 25 pounds on an occasional basis.
2. Able to bend, crouch, and reach continuously.
3. Physically able remain seated, frequently to continuously.
4. Able to remain standing up to 15% of the time.
5. Possesses dexterity abilities required to perform job duties including extensive keyboard work, operating office equipment, performing filing, and other job-related responsibilities that include extensive wrist and hand movement.
6. Standard working conditions may differ depending on department and occupation.
1. UT Permian Basin offers an excellent compensation package including heath, retirement, & fringe benefits for eligible employees.
2. Coverage includes medical, prescriptions, life insurance, AD&D, and matching retirement provided by UTPB.
3. You may also be eligible to add dental, vision, family coverage, & flex-spending accounts, additional retirement, and a few other coverages as options too.
4. Fringe benefits include tuition reimbursement (after one year of service), wellness breaks, employee assistant program (EAP), and meal deals, among other perks and discounts!
5. Our benefits package, along with an ample leave policy, make for a great total compensation package.
About the University
The University of Texas Permian Basin is located in Odessa, Texas. It was authorized by the Texas Legislature in 1969 and founded in 1973. The Permian Basin is one of the fastest-growing, culturally vibrant, economically invigorated regions of the country - full of industry, culture, and wide-open spaces. At the academic heart of this area sits The University of Texas Permian Basin - which every year, delivers smart, savvy leaders across the U.S.
As a regional, comprehensive institution, The University of Texas Permian Basin serves a diverse community of students from the region, the state, and beyond. Through excellence in student-centered teaching, learning, research, and public service, the University cultivates engaged citizens and impacts lives while advancing the technology and public interests of West Texas.
Our vision is that the University of Texas Permian Basin will be an innovative, responsive university that thinks large and lives local. We will lead in advancing education, research, economic competitiveness, and cultural enrichment.
Visit our social media sites below for more information.
LinkedIn Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube
Thank you for your consideration in today's job market. We look forward to connecting with you more in the future.
To apply, visit https://zahr-prd-candidate-ada.utshare.utsystem.edu/psp/ZAHRPRDADA/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=10&JobOpeningId=11365&PostingSeq=1
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency