San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
Campus Location: San Jose City College
The Administrative Secretary reports to the Vice President of Student Affairs at San Jose City College. The work schedule is 12 months per year; Monday - Friday; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
This position is represented by the California School Employees Association (CSEA), Chapter 363.
Under general supervision, performs a variety of advanced administrative and secretarial support to a College Vice President. Incumbents in this class may be responsible for overseeing day-to-day office functions, and are responsible for difficult and responsible duties assigned to classes in the series. Employees at this level are fully trained in all procedures related to the assigned area of responsibility.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Exercise independent judgment in relieving a Vice President of actions not requiring his/her immediate attention.
2. Screen office and telephone calls; respond to sensitive complaints and requests for information from the general public, students, faculty, and staff; resolve concerns and complaints; refer inquiries as appropriate.
3. Establish and maintain a variety of sensitive files and records; research and gather information for special reports.
4. Maintain calendar of department activities, meetings and various events; make reservations for conferences and other events; coordinate travel arrangements for department staff as needed.
5. Maintain a variety of program and departmental budgets; make budget transfers, create purchase orders, and pay vendors.
6. Perform paraprofessional support work as assigned; research questions pertaining to policies and procedures.
7. Perform a variety of administrative, secretarial, and clerical support functions for assigned office activities; independently prepare and send correspondence; respond to letters and general correspondence of a routine nature; prepare reports and graphic materials as assigned.
8. Receive and process agreements; edit and maintain agreements; monitor expiration dates; inform appropriate executive staff.
9. Provide staff support on a variety of boards and committees; prepare agendas and other material; prepare minutes and distribute.
10. Open, sort and distribute mail; identify priority items.
11. Order and maintain adequate supplies as required.
12. Perform related duties as required.
1. Organization, time management and standard office procedures.
2. Principles of business letter writing.
3. Advanced principles and procedures of record keeping and reporting.
4. Modern office procedures, methods and computer equipment.
5. English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
6. Basic mathematical principles.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Perform responsible and difficult administrative and secretarial work involving the use of independent judgment and personal initiative.
2. Interpret and apply administrative and departmental policies, procedures, laws and regulations.
3. Work independently in the absence of supervision.
4. Compile and maintain sensitive records.
5. Independently prepare correspondence and memorandums.
6. Type at a speed necessary for successful job performance.
7. Manage and maintain multiple budgets.
8. Maintain effective audio visual discrimination and perception needed for making observations, communicating with others, reading and writing, operating assigned equipment, handling varied tasks simultaneously.
9. Maintain physical condition appropriate to the performance of assigned duties and responsibilities which may include standing or sitting for extended periods of time, operating assigned equipment, typing for extended periods of time.
10. Maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions, answering questions, and demonstrating intellectual capabilities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
1. Education equivalent to a high school diploma or GED supplemented by specialized administrative secretarial training.
2. At least three years of administrative (clerical) experience involving heavy public contact and primary support to management staff.
1. Bilingual abilities, desirable.
Districts Diversity Requirements
$65,642 - $80,094 Annual Salary (Range 100: Classified Salary Schedule Fiscal Year 2018-2019). Starting placement is generally at Step 1.
Excellent fringe benefit package includes a pension, medical, dental, vision, EAP (employee assistance plan) and life insurance for employee and eligible dependents, and income protection. Voluntary plans include supplemental life insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403b and 457 Deferred Compensation Accounts. Classified employees also receive vacation, 12 sick leave days and 18 paid holidays.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: https://sjeccd.peopleadmin.com/
About San Jose/Evergreen Community College District
The District is represented by dedicated and talented employees who are passionate about providing our student population with the best educational experience possible. The District recognizes that cultural diversity in the academic environment promotes academic excellence; fosters cultural, racial and human understanding; provides positive roles models for all students, and creates an inclusive and supportive educational and work environment for its employees, students, and the community it serves.
As of fall 2017, with enrollment of approximately 18,500 per semester, and an extremely diverse student population (Hispanic/Latino 44%, Black/African-American 4%, Asian/Pacific Islander 32%, American Indian/Native American 0.5%, White/Caucasian 11%) attaining educational goals reflecting 45% AA Degree and Transfer to a 4-Year College/ University, the Districts emphasis on student success makes it a recognized educational leader in the State.
The District encourages a diverse pool of applicants to serve as colleagues to an existing diverse group of managers, supervisors and confidential staff consisting of 29 % Hispanic/Latino, 13% Asian/Pacific Islander, 7% Black/African American, 23% White/Caucasian, and as well as encouraging applications from all qualified, outstanding applicants.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency